BAFFIN ISLAND

BAFFIN ISLAND

My Blog List

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

FAREWELL TO THE NORTH !!

I don't know where to start ! Has this been one of the most exciting adventures of my life ?...yes ! Would I do it again ...mmmm , have to think on that, If I did , I would have to go further North , definately ! Would I live here longer, I think so , assuming I had a 4 wheeler, skido, 4 wheel drive truck, and a couple of  loaded rifle's !! and hung out with the Inuit.
I like the Inuit peoples, not terrible fond of some of the white people hanging around here, a lot of misfits, but their everywhere I guess. The Inuit are a community minded group,very kind .They take care of each other, at least in the smaller communities. A whale is caught, it is shared by all, as is caribou or any large animal. A good way to live. But how long this will last with the influence of Southerners is unknown.
The Government is here and they are after the resources. Why else would you be in this part of the world ? Sure as heck , not for the beaches and palm trees : ) !!
But it has been an adventure for sure, one that I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a complete change in cuture or just a change of scenery. There are not many people who can say they have lived on Baffin Island, thats for sure !

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I love you Joyce! I watch from afar and get such a kick out of your insights... they are not too far from my own, yet I work from inside the "box" which is not always of my liking but fits who I have to be for a while yet. Being responsible for lots of things here adds the necessity of remaining at this level but I do enjoy following your adventures. Love always!

    ReplyDelete